Thursday, March 5, 2009

Good News Bad News


A lot has happened since the last post.
I was headed up to Jacksonville Texas to apply for the mortgage for the ranch and my truck decided to throw the fan belt. Of course these days it runs everything and when it goes the truck doesn't. I got lucky (good news) a man stopped and put the belt back on for me so I could get to the garage. When I got there the mechanic had to replace the belt and the tension device for the belt (cha-ching$). I continued the trip to Jacksonville and filed for the mortgage and it looks like we'll get one, but we don't know with who or what rate yet.

So, I leave the bank and start the truck and I hear this noise from the engine compartment like something hitting the fan. I turned off the motor and had a look. The fan clutch had a strip of belt
wrapped around it like a snarl on a fishing reel. I cut it off with my pocket knife, a very useful tool every women ought to carry one in her purse :) I was very concerned driving back to Livingston Texas (over 150miles), thinking that at any minute I was going to loose the belt and get stranded.

I made it back to the rig and the following morning I went back to the garage and showed them the strip of belt that came off the new belt. The mechanic replaced the belt and after turning the motor on he heard more noise and further investigation showed that the brace holding the power steering pump was gone! The good news is the part and bolts were sitting on the frame, so it was easy to replace. However in putting this back together it was discovered that the assembly that holds the power steering pump, alternator and tension device has cracks in it. This part is about to fail (bad news). I am told this part is not made anymore and search of the junk yards comes up with nothing. The after market piece comes with the air conditioner compressor, alternator, power steering pump and some other stuff plus shipping ($$$) bad news. Also the harmonic dampener is failing on this truck which could cause big problems for the engine ($$) bad news.

So with this information I decide to cut my losses and get another truck. I went to a local used truck guy and pick out a truck and made the best deal I could. I took my truck to a trailer place and had the fifth wheel removed to later be put on the replacement truck. So tomorrow sometime I get to trade trucks. The good news is it is a better truck the bad news is I spent a lot of money and I hate to spend money :(

I just hope my old truck hold together long enough to get rid of it tomorrow :\

I got news this afternoon that the secondary mortgage companies aren't accepting applications for manufactured home at this time :( This means we will be financing through a local bank at a higher rate. When the financing business improves we will switch-You Betcha.

So that's the Good News and Bad News it has been a hell of a week I don't think I could stand much more of this up and down stuff, good, bad, stuff.....

No comments:

Post a Comment