Sunday, September 6, 2009

Labor Day Weekend 09

Here it is Labor Day weekend. For most of my life I have worked holidays and seldom got a holiday weekend to myself, now that I am retired it is a common occurrence. Somehow something I yearned for, for so long has lost its importance. I guess circumstance is everything, on occasion I hear the song "Is that all there is" . Most holidays and weekends don't mean much when you don't have a job to go to. Don't get me wrong retirement is great; the best thing I ever did was retire. Going back to work does not appeal to me at all. Besides I don't think I could do it physically, just don't have the stamina anymore. Now If I feel like taking a nap or sit in a chair and daydream I can do it. If I want to stay up at night and watch the late late show there is nothing stopping me unless I fall asleep of course.



I guess I am feeling a little melancholy lately, the passing of people of my era like Ted Kennedy and the illnesses of dear friends and relatives and my own struggle with health issues have gotten me down. The down side of getting older is you lose a lot of friends and relatives and in the back of your mind you know that your own expiration date is getting closer. Not a pleasant thought. The mundane chores of life don't give enough distraction to take your mind off of these things so one tends to get .... well melancholy.



I remember what my grandfather said, as he was waiting to pass on about his own life, "what the hell was it all about ?". He didn't have an answer and neither do I. I guess this too, shall pass and I will back to my old feisty self soon enough.



I enjoyed our little trip to Florida, it was sort of a little adventure. Life should be an adventure. One of the reasons I like travel to new places is the adventure and discovery of things, places and people that I have not experienced before. I guess I was born under a wandering star sort of like the song in the musical Paint Your Wagon. Those of you who have not have had the pleasure of hearing the song sung by Lee Marvin in Paint your Wagon here are some of the lyrics

I was born under a wanderin’ star
I was born under a wanderin’ star

When I get to heavenTie me to a tree
Or I’ll begin to roamAnd soon you know where I will be

I was born under a wanderin’ star
A wanderinwanderin’ star

No comments:

Post a Comment